Kite Lake -- and 14'ers

Took a drive down a crappy dirt road to Kite Lake. This place is exceptionally busy in the summer as it provides access to 3 trailheads leading to 14,000' peaks: Democrat, Bross and Lincoln. The three form a treeless cirque around Kite Lake.

During the summer, the most prominent question on hiking forums is: Can I drive to the lake today?   It seems that the road is heavily traveled and when it gets wet it is hard to drive for many cars -- but okay for FWD.

This is what it looks like when you get there. This day is the day after the mountain snowstorm. I more or less stood in the general spot and snapped some pictures. I guess I could have used a panorama, but that only occurred to me as  I write.

I spent a long time there waiting for different lighting conditions. Man, was it cold!

To the right.




To the left.



In the center


 Same picture but about 4 feet to the left.



Another similar looking picture to the right -- but with different lighting.


Looking the other way. Behind




One last shot from the window of the truck. nice lighting. You can just barely make out the trail leading up - high up, left, in the snow area (triangle of darker space). Easy to see if you enlarge this photo.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting hosed on July 4th

21" of Snow, 25F, overcast and still snowing: What to do?

Back in Maine